Through two unprecedented years, we are proud and humbled that not only is Pets Alive surviving, but we are thriving. The support of community members and supporters like YOU has truly made all the difference.
2021 Impact Report
What we’ve been up to…
- In 2021, we performed nearly 10,000 spay/neuter surgeries and provided preventative care for more than 4,000 patients through our Wellness Clinic.
- We welcomed back Dr. Theresa Navarro as full-time staff.
- Readers and voters named us the ‘Best Nonprofit in B-Town’ thanks to The Herald-Times!
- We received support for our programs from: United Way of Monroe County, the Jack Hopkins Social Services Committee, Petco Love, and an anonymous component fund of the Community Foundation of Bloomington and Monroe County.
- Our clinic technology has been upgraded to offer a more streamlined experience for the 60-80 surgical patients we see each day.
- We gave more than 16,000 vaccinations protecting our community’s pets from potentially fatal illnesses!
- 100% of our staff and volunteers are fully vaccinated for COVID.
- In total, we’ve performed 220,000 affordable, high-quality spay/neuter surgeries. And counting!
The ongoing challenges…
- Euthanasia rates are lower than ever (in the days before Pets Alive, 75-80% of animals did not make it out of our local shelter). However, there is still so much work to do. Our schedule books out many weeks in advance.
- One outcome of the COVID pandemic is a surge in the number of cats and dogs being born.
- We have a goal of hiring two more full-time staff members to meet our heavy workload. As businesses and organizations around the country are experiencing, there is a shortage of applicants and qualified workers.
- Our operating costs are not covered by what we charge; donations are always critical.
- While we performed more surgeries in 2021 than in 2020, we performed 5,490 fewer surgeries than in 2019. This translates into 16,470 births NOT prevented.
- Until pet overpopulation is a relic of the past, we will not stop.
Looking ahead, we hope to increase the number of pets and their human companions that we serve. From all of us at Pets Alive, we want to thank you for trusting your animals to our care and trusting your financial contributions to our stewardship.
Thank you to every member of our team that helps make all of this possible. We are so grateful for the hard work and dedication from every member of our team during another uncertain year.
- Mackenzie Adams, Digital Marketing Coordinator
- Sarah Armstrong, Veterinary Assistant
- Angela Carr, Lead Veterinary Assistant
- Lydia Chandler, Wellness Clinic Assistant
- Dr. Nancy Ferguson, Veterinarian
- Suzanne Hampton, Administrative Assistant
- Allison Hess, Executive Director
- Mary Judson, Office Manager
- Dr. Theresa Navarro, Veterinarian
- Dr. Judy Owens, Veterinarian
- Christy Parks, Veterinary Assistant
- Elisha Reynolds, Veterinary Assistant
- April Sconyers, Administrative Assistant
- Angie Tomlinson, Registered Veterinary Nurse
- Cathy Williamson, Veterinary Assistant
- Jamie Wires, Operations Director
- Donna Dayton
- Shelley Herman
- Karla Kamstra
- Courtney Packard
- Bret Syrek
- Jennifer Turrentine