The Development and Communications Director position reports and works in close coordination to the Executive Director and staffs and supports the Development Committee. The responsibilities for this position include working to secure financial resources for the short and long-term future to achieve the mission, goals and objectives of the organization. The position provides leadership and management of the direction, planning, and execution of a comprehensive development program for Pets Alive.
Duties include the following:
- Develop, coordinate, maintain and implement the annual fundraising plan
- Establish short- and long-range goals for unrestricted funding sources as well as special projects and specific needs
- Engage in research to identify new individual, foundation, and government prospects
- Develop, coordinate, and implement a new major gifts and planned giving program as the need and opportunity arises
- Work in conjunction with the Board of Directors and the Executive Director to implement the marketing strategy and may be responsible for specific aspects of the marketing and communications as it relates to development.
- Identify development priorities consistent with mission budget and strategic plan
- Develop and maintain a development and communications operations and standards manual
- Involved in budgeting, strategic planning, supporting board functions, and other measures related to enhancing organizational readiness and effectiveness.
- Leverage key relationships with sponsors, donors, clients, volunteers, and other supporters
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with current and potential corporate and foundation sponsors and individual donors with the goal to retain or upgrade gifts when possible
- Maintain regular correspondence with foundations, donors, and board members
- Research public and private grant sources to identify sources of restricted and unrestricted funding
- Manage grants and ensure compliance with reporting and other guidelines
- Write grant proposals and reports to corporate, foundation, and government funders
- Coordinate monthly tours of clinic, including coordinating guests and following up for feedback
- Coordinate annual fundraising and special events
- Recruit and train volunteers for fundraising and special events
- Implement sub-committees as needed for fundraising and special events
- Manage on-site logistics and clean up for all special events
- Manage all fundraising records and database with a focus on security, quality, and accuracy
- Generate queries, reports, exports, and any other collection data as needed
- Create and maintain data in Giving Works that accurately details the full record of donor transactions and relationships.
- Represent the organization externally at community events to spotlight agency’s mission
- Create an alumni (former clients) program, organize events, and collect news and information about the members of the alumni for publication
- Support the organization’s volunteer program and create meaningful opportunities for connection
- Write fundraising appeals and oversee all other mailings
- Manage the pledge reminder and acknowledgement programs
- Acknowledge all gifts and pledges in a timely manner
- Seek matching gifts opportunities from donor employers
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in nonprofit preferred or commensurate experience. Nonprofit Leadership Alliance certification desired.
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to Allison Hess. No phone calls or in-person visits please.